About Us / How to Join
The Illinois Butterfly Monitoring Network engages citizen scientists in the process of
collecting quantitative data on butterfly populations. Our goal is to provide data
collected with a standardized protocol that allows land managers to evaluate long-term trends
in a changing landscape. The Network also offers opportunities for fellowship, mentorship,
and continuing education between citizen scientists and professional biologists.
- Click on the Apply Now button and submit an application form.
- Attend a training before beginning to monitor.
- Receive a site assignment from the IBMN. The IBMN supports monitoring on public lands only.
- Visit your site 6 to 8 times between Memorial Day weekend and August 8.
- Conduct a 1-2 hour survey on each visit.
- Submit your data online.
We also provide ongoing training and support from the network leaders.